I Know I Am Intelligent Because I Know That I Know Nothing .... Socrates

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Ring

The Ring

I took off my ring today and put it safely away
It’s in a place that’s warm and secure
Where it can remain for the rest of its days

It once stood for love and devotion
Between two connected souls
But now it’s tarnished with the pain of age
That just won’t go away

It got tarnished from all the words expressed wrong
It was dented by words unsaid
It was twisted by actions not devoted and true
It was betrayed by the distractions of life

I remember the day you held my hand
And placed the ring on my finger
With a pledge to love till the end of our days
A pledge that I knew we would never surrender

But our love did not stand the test of time
And our souls now pass in the night
Our united world has been ripped apart
And we must now give up the fight

I took off my ring today and put it safely away
But its memory remains in my heart warm and secure
Where it can remain for the rest of its days

Andrew Swansson

© 2010

2 comments:

  1. Just wiped a tear from my eyes - I know how you feel - love you bro - Wendy

    ReplyDelete